We’re coming up on our last few weeks of cold weather before spring arrives here in southern California so it’s only fitting that I share this chili recipe while there’s still a few chilly nights left in the forecast! This recipe is always a hit. I’ve even made it for those of a more “carnivorous persuasion” and I’m always returned an empty bowl. There’s also just something about the aromas of chili cooking on the stove that make a house feel like a home, am I right?
The black beans and kidney beans used in the recipe provide a hefty helping of plant-based protein keeping you the perfect amount of satisfied 🙂 Give this chili about an hour to simmer allowing all the flavors to develop, pull out your favorite chili bowl (am I the only one who has a designated chili bowl?) and cozy up to fully enjoy this one.
I kept the toppings simple and clean this time and threw some fresh avo and cilantro on top. Sometimes I’m more ambitious and add vegan sour cream and jalapenos. Also guys…Frito’s corn chips are an option here as well…just sayin’.
I believe that taking the time to prepare a delicious and satisfying meal for yourself is the ultimate act of self-care. Thus, I’ll leave you with a few self-love affirmations:
I love my body and treat it with respect.
I accept myself unconditionally.
I radiate love from deep within.
to the moon and back xx
Hearty Vegan Chili
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 yellow onion – diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth + 3 tbsp for sauteeing
- 1 can diced tomatoes w/ juice (fire roasted/jalapeno)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- In a large pot, sautee garlic, onions and red bell pepper in 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth until onions are translucent and mixture is fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans and corn.
- Slowly stir in the rest of the vegetable broth and add all spices.
- Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Let cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Load with toppings and enjoy! 🙂